Guide to Elder Care
I created "Guide to Elder Care" to help individuals like you navigate the maze that is health care and particularly, long term care. It is my hope that this guide becomes a comprehensive reference for you to use in your search for the right type of service for you. The satisfaction of knowing that I helped someone in need is what has motivated me to start this website. With this guide, I can help more than one family at a time.
Elder Care Options
"What type of elder care service do I need for our situation?"
I wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked that question.
We are fortunate to have a variety of options when it comes to long term care services and each type usually has many companies offering that particular service. A search through the Yellow Pages can make you feel overwhelmed and wondering how and where to start.
In this website, I will be discussing the different types of service options you have. Each button on the navigation bar will take you progressively through your options for care starting with the first buttons which are for services requiring the least amount or intensity of care. These services aren't necessarily the least expensive. As you progress down the navigation bar, you'll find buttons for services requiring more complex care. Some of these services are government sponsored and therefore may not have any out of pocket expense for you.
Elder Care Services
The Hired Caregiver Nursing Homes Sitters Hospice
Home Health Care Assisted Living Adult Day Care Long Term Care Insurance
You know your loved one’s health status, your financial resources and limitations and what you need as a caregiver better than anyone. Take your time reading the information I have compiled here for you. You are about to make a very important decision but through the help you’ll find here, that decision will be much easier to make.
You will be able to navigate to each type of service by clicking on the navigation bar on the left side of the website or click on the links below.
The information I have compiled for you is written as if we were seated in your living room having a comfortable discussion.
Now, let's get started!
Please click on one of the buttons on the navigation bar on the left side of this page or on the links below. They will take you to a frank and easy to understand discussion of each of the services available to you.
See you there!
- Arthritis is a chronic disease of the joints that develops when the lining of the joints degenerate.
- Diabetes is one of the most devastating conditions that our society has which has multiple comorbidities.
- Hiring a Caregiver
- Hiring a caregiver does not have to deplete your savings. Here's how to hire a personal caregiver like an expert in the healthcare field.
- Sitters have a very useful place in health care and especially in the care of the elderly, the disabled, and the infirm. Here you can see if this is the right choice for you.
- Hiring a Sitter
- Sitters have a very useful place in health care and especially in the care of the elderly, the disabled, and the infirm. Here is a guide for hiring a sitter.
- Consumer Managed Personal Attendant Services
- This service contracts with licensed home health agencies to provide personal attendant services to adults with physical disabilities. You manage the nurse aide.
- Personal Caregiver
- Hiring a personal caregiver does not have to deplete your savings. Here's how you can receive quality elder care free or at affordable rates.
- Certified Nurse Aide
- The certified nurse aide is a valuable member of the healthcare team. She can provide you with excellent personal care at an affordable price.
- Adult Day Care
- Adult day care facilities provide daytime health care and social activities for mentally and/or physically impaired adults who should not be left alone and unsupervised.
- Assisted Living
- An easy to follow but thorough guide to selecting an assisted living facility that will match your health care needs and your financial resources.
- Home Health.....How to determine what service is best for you.
- Home Health provides an array of services including medical and non-medical assistance with such tasks as nursing and rehabilitation therapy, bathing, dressing, meal preparation and transportation.
- community based alternatives
- Community Based Alternatives provides home and community based services to the elderly as a cost-effective alternative to living in a nursing home.
- Primary Home Care
- Primary Home Care is a non-skilled, medically related personal care service for adults whose health problems limit their ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Family Care
- Family Care is a nonskilled, nontechnical attendant care service for eligible adults who are functionally limited in performing activities of daily living.
- Community Attendant Services
- Community Attendant Services is a non-technical, medically related personal care service for adults whose health problems cause them to be functionally limited in performing activities of daily living
- Skilled nursing facilities
- A skilled nursing facilities provide nursing services that a nursing home cannot due to not having the license and staff to provide that level of care.
- Nursing Homes
- Nursing homes provide skilled nursing care to individuals requiring full-time skilled care in a state licensed residential facility by licensed nurses.
- Hospice is traditionally for people with advanced illnesses whose life expectancy is six months or less..
- About me
- About me is a page that describes my work with the elderly in long term care and what I have done for most of my career.
- Elder Care Experience
- A full and varied Elder Care Experience over more than 40 years in long term care. You can read about it here.
- caregivers share their stories
- Caregivers share their stories to help others learn and cope. Here you can read helpful stories or help others by sharing your own.
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance can help save your life's savings when you need long term care in a nursing home, assisted living facility or at home with home health
- Famous Alzheimer Victims
- Famous Alzheimer victims are just like anybody else. Their fame did not make them immune to the disease. Read about them here.
- Delaying Alzheimers Disease
- Delaying Alzheimers Disease requires being proactive in your approach to healthy living choices.
- caregiving Safety Tips
- caregiving safety tips to make the home a safer place for elder patients and their family.
- Poems About Elder Care
- Poems about elder care have been an inspiration to me as a caregiver. This is my way of sharing my experience with other caregivers.
- The Guide to Elder Care Blog
- A Guide to Elder Care blog to keep you up-to-date and informed of elder care options for you and your loved one.
- ElderCare in the News
- Eldercare in the news is shared with people browsing this website for information on Medicare and Medicaid and how it may affect their loved ones.
- Contact me
- To contact me, please submit your e-mail and I will respond within 48 hours.
- This disclaimer provides that guide-to-elder-care.com does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site.